Tuesday, February 3, 2009

information is important


Working with Habitat for Humanity has been one of my favorite projects for a few years now. I've participated in several fundraising event committees, defined corporate strategic fundraising approaches, and took the annual appeal to the general public to a whole new level starting two years ago.

But enough about me. the biggest thing to consider is that we're all apart of a bigger picture. Working alone we can do great things of course, but working together we can pull of miracles. The same goes for fundraising. I can give $100 to an organization like Habitat and feel trumped when I hear of a large corporation donating $10,000.

But what if 100 people gave only $100?

How much more of a community are we if 100 people give the same amount as that one organization? In my community of 30,000, if all gave just a little bit to a community foundation, we'd be an idyllic place to live! That's what I think about - everyone giving just a little bit of themselves and making a huge impact.

My $100 bought all the nails for a single house that year. That's huge. If only 10,000 people gave up one week's worth of their lunch money this year, that would mean 3 houses for Habitat - 3 families living in stable housing. What would $25 mean to your pet organization? If you multiplied $25 by the number in your network, what would that mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm very interested in what you have to say. Thanks for joining the conversation! To contact me directly, please write to: jennifer AT werthexpertise DOT com