Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Minus One


I threw a big party recently and had a sizable committee to help me execute the event as well as a few new and good friends to help me during the night of. I am very grateful for all their support as without each of them, the event would have been different.

Different bad? Different good?

Each friend brought their own unique ideas, bubbling personalities, and quirky humor. I tentatively assigned tasks to each based on their requests or for what I thought they might enjoy and be good at.


Of course like anything, things change, and new challenges arise requiring fast flexibility and initiation by each of us.


One of the women approached me after the party and started to almost apologize as she thought her presence wasn’t really needed that night. “I feel like I didn’t do very much, you really didn’t need me,” she said.

Au contraire!

Without her, I would have been nervous that I was one person short. Without her, I wouldn’t have had anyone to help the others when it became obvious that more hands were needed for the auction support.


While a party is a very different animal than a production line, producing a product and executing a seamless evening is quite similar mechanically.


PRODUCTION

Work flow and balance are equally important in both circumstances. Persons should be assigned tasks that keep each similarly and equally busy but along with flexibility to increase output –or temporarily lend a hand to someone else, without the process being interrupted.

In this design, there are many positive outcomes:


  • 1) each person is not working at their maximum, thus energy is conserved,
  • 2) should a customer request extra pieces, a slight speeding of the line is possible, and
  • 3) should someone be absent, each person can absorb a little bit extra work to maintain balance and output.


PERSONALLY

My humble friend from the party forgot one thing about the importance of her presence.


By ‘showing up’, she was demonstrating her support to me that couldn’t be illustrated in any other way.

At work, we also demonstrate our commitment to the company and our colleagues by ‘showing up’. Sure, they could sustain themselves here and there without us, but by consistently showing up and doing what we commit to do; we honor our fellow workers and bring about better morale.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm very interested in what you have to say. Thanks for joining the conversation! To contact me directly, please write to: jennifer AT werthexpertise DOT com