Tuesday, December 8, 2009

To be or not to be transparent?


I vol- unteered with a great nonprofit for over three years. They help people get into safe affordable decent housing where they can have the confidence of knowing it’s as permanent as they need it to be. It’s amazing how providing stability in someone’s life can turn their whole world upside down yet right side up.


Like many nonprofits (and commercial ventures), they have been struggling to raise funds.


As a volunteer, I was always surprised to learn that they struggled for donations because I knew their programming was so strong.


As a volunteer, I was always surprised to run into people who had grave misconceptions about the program and its benefits.


As a volunteer however, I could never find out exactly how the program was funded. No one could or would answer me directly about where the money went and how much was actually needed.


The goals were not clear.


I found it difficult to help them, often guessing at what they might need. My fellow volunteers shared the same concern with me. We’d guess as best we knew and do the best we could. I would find in conversation with potential donors that they also had the same questions as I did but with many misconceptions about the program as well.


What if this was a commercial venture?


What would you do if this was your commercial venture?


The same rules apply don’t they? Frankly, I can hear the gears over-heating in your head:



  • Communicate a clear message to the team on what needs to be accomplished!


  • Get everyone unified around a real and tangible long term goal.





What else would you add to this list?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm very interested in what you have to say. Thanks for joining the conversation! To contact me directly, please write to: jennifer AT werthexpertise DOT com