Friday, November 6, 2009

Lions, tigers, and bears..


Actually, more like: lions, beavers, and golden retrievers.


At my previous company I would periodically take those little self-evaluation tests to figure out my general personally type. This was typically done during a team off-site and the results would be anticipated.


Of course Larry is a “Retriever”.


Sure enough, the test results showed that Mary is a strong driver but with a tall yellow bar too.


For myself, I was always a driver but like reading horoscopes, I saw a little of myself in each description of the lion, otter, golden retriever, and beaver.


Sometimes we’d have to wear these little personality name tags in the office and when we’d tire of this display; we’d hang them in our office for people to see. Supposedly this would help others work with us better.


How exactly am I supposed to give a Retriever information?


How do I more effectively ask a Beaver to do something?


Wouldn’t it be easier if I just knew what to get from others to do my work more effectively?


We all go to work wanting to do a good job. Everyone there, like everyone you might notice in your neighborhood, at church, or in the grocery store, is a mixed bag of nuts. We’re all different. We all have our own idiosyncrasies. We all have our own perceptions based on our upbringing. Some even have their own agendas.


How can we work together better?


While understanding your colleagues and knowing them personally always benefits, one doesn’t always have the opportunity to understand how someone works.


  • You could be new on a team.
  • Your team could be located at several locations.
  • Understanding someone else’s personality type might not be your gift.


There are many reasons why knowing yourself better is the key to getting information presented to you as you need to do your job more effectively verses leaving it to someone else's interpretation. Things like:


  • What questions should you ask to fill in the gaps in your mind?
  • How should you lay out your work for your brain to process quicker?
  • When should you slow down to let others catch up?

Just as in personal relationships, understanding your very own unique way of processing information, will make you more effective in all you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm very interested in what you have to say. Thanks for joining the conversation! To contact me directly, please write to: jennifer AT werthexpertise DOT com